This article provides instructions on how to install Refog Terminal Monitor on a Windows Server. The content of this article is organized into the following sections:
- System Requirements
- Downloading Refog Terminal Monitor Software
- Installing Refog Terminal Monitor Software
- User and License Management
- Administrator management
- How to move log storage folder
- Generating and Exporting Reports
- Potential Errors and Solutions
For information about the system requirements please refer to the Refog Terminal Monitor page: www.refog.com/terminal-monitor
Supported operating systems:
- Windows Server 2012, 2016, 2019, 2022
Downloading Refog Terminal Monitor Software
Open internet browser and create your free Refog account here: login.refog.com
Enter your email and password and click Create an account.
Open download page here: login.refog.com/download
NOTE: Physical access to the server is required for installation.
Select Terminal Monitor and click Download.
Installing Refog Terminal Monitor Software
Unzip and run .exe file.
If ZIP archive have password protection, please use password refog or refog123 to unpack installation file.
In most cases Refog app will run automatically after installation.
But if you need to reboot your PC please use the following default Hot Key combination to launch the program after reboot: CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + M
User and License Management
Terminal version is licensed per user. Each user has two settings - a license and visibility.
Visibility setting shows or hides a user in a user list of the man window of the program.
- Only users with assigned licenses are monitored. Users without assigned licenses are not monitored even if they are set to be visible. If a user is logged in during installation, a license will be assigned to that user, but monitoring will start the next time the user logs in.
- Licenses are assigned using a special window which shows a list of all users of server and domain. License is assigned to a user automatically if you enable any kind of monitoring for that user.
- A license is unassigned from a user automatically if you disable monitoring of that user or hide it.
License management window
Use this window to manage licenses and user visibility. This list includes local and domain users.
Assign licenses automatically option lets the program automatically assign licenses to users that connect to the server (as long as there are licenses available).
User Filter filter user list by a part of user name. Only matching users will be shown below in the list.
Clear button clears the filter and restores the list to original state.
Add button lets you pick additional users that were not discovered automatically.
These are possible states of users in the list:
- License assigned, user is visible
- No assigned license, user is hidden
- No assigned license, user is visible
If there are no more licenses available, you can only show users in the list but not monitor then. You can view previously recorded logs for all visible users.
If the Assign licenses automatically option is disabled, you will be able to enable/disable particular log types for all users at the same time after clicking the Next button.
Only particular users are given permission to view logs.
You can manage a list of those program administrator users Settings > Log Access Policy pane.
Users that are not in the list of program administrators will not be able to access logs even if they know program password. If the list is empty then a user that has computer administrator privileges and has started the program first will become program administrator automatically.
How to move log storage folder
You can set where to store log on a server using Settings > Log Folder pane.
You can view current log location using Windows Explorer by clicking Show in Explorer button. To change move this folder to a new location click Browse button and pick a folder. Click Apply button to actually move log to new location.
- To be able to move the log make sure that only administrator is logged in to the server.
- You can’t move a log to a new location that already has existing log.
A separate application with administrator privileges is responsible for moving the log. If you have UAC enable you will be asked to give permission to run that application.
The Log encryption option allows you to change the log storage method after installing the program. To enable or disable encryption, make sure that only the server’s administrator is active in the system.
Generating and Exporting Reports
To generate a report, select a server in the user tree and click the Report button.
Log export settings:
Format - CSV and HTML formats supported
Date range – the time period for generating a log file report. To generate a report for one day, select the same day in both field.
Filters – any text that the log will be filtered by, such as an application’s name or word. Each word should be entered on a separate line.
Output Folder – the folder used for saving logs.
Potential Errors and Solutions
If you have any problems with Refog Terminal Monitor, please contact our technical support service.
Article is closed for comments.